Saturday, April 7, 2012

Food Craft. Edible Egg Nests.

My favorite weather is bird-chirping weather. ~Terri Guillemets
I had forgotten this old favorite until I found myself in the Asian Food isle of my grocery story and happen to notice that almost ALL of the chow mein noodles were gone!  It then dawned on me why...this Easter classic treat :-)
There are recipes out there for these, but I just threw my own together using this:

1) one bag of large marshmallows (the pic shows mini - either would work)
2) one bag of chow mein noodles
3) two tablespoons of butter
4) something for your "eggs" (not pictured!  I used Cadbury eggs)

In a big pot, I melted the butter under low heat and threw in the bag of marshmallows, stirring until they melted completely.  Then I threw in the bag of chow mein noodles, stirring until completely covered with oooey gooey marshmallow...mmmmm. 

I scooped some mixture onto a silpat covered cookie sheet and some into a sprayed cupcake pan - when I do this again I will only use the cupcake pan.  It gives a more uniform look, which I like better than the free-form that the cookie sheet produced. 
Once they cool a bit, butter up your fingers and press a little "well" into the nest to hold your eggs.  Then put your eggs in there and enjoy! 
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. These look so darn good. Easy too. Thanks so much for sharing and joining in on the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie!! The Newbie party is such a great idea!

      Delete
  2. Kristie, So glad I found your cute blog from Debbiedoo's Newbie Party! These bird nests are so much fun. I bet your two boys just loved them. I'm looking forward to following your blog and enjoying more of your creative ideas! Have a great week!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Sharla!! I also joined your blog - its beautiful!! Love the photography!

      Delete